Sunday, February 9, 2014

Marshmallow Behaviors

It is that time of year again...the winter blues.  Usually living in Northern Minnesota this time of year means plenty of time outside--skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, ice fishing, etc. etc.  BUT IT IS TOO COLD!

This affects everyone, children included!  I can't even begin to tell you the behaviors that are popping up in my second grade classroom.  It is insane and makes my gray hair garden grow.  Therefore I had to come up with something....hence Marshmallow Behaviors.


The pictures really don't do the cuteness of this project justice!  

The elementary school I work at is a PBIS school, which basically means we are always looking for the positive in student behaviors.  Instead of focusing on what students are doing wrong, we try to focus on what they are doing right.  I am on the PBIS team so we plan all these fun events throughout the year.  (if you are familiar with PBIS and have any ideas or challenges, let me know!)  Anyhoo-our winter challenge is taking place NOW and it is really a whole class goal setting/earning process.  I have a lot of challenging behaviors this year which take up a lot of my time and attention.  Therefore, I am always trying to find ways for my kiddos who are ALWAYS following expectations to be rewarded and get some credit for all their hard work.  


During our Winter Fun Day (pending we earn it :) )we are getting hot chocolate.  I had my class design their own hot chocolate mug.  Along with their mug is a Ziploc bag to hold marshmallows.  Each day, anyone who's behavior pin is at "Ready to Learn" or higher earns a marshmallow.  However many marshmallows are in the bag by Winter Fun Day is how many marshmallows they get in their hot chocolate from our "marshmallow bar".  I also had them write out HOW they plan to earn marshmallows each day.  I was beyond impressed with their goal setting and ideas!


How cute is that?!  I mean....seriously....

So far I have seen a difference!  I am so proud of my little chiddlers :)  Hopefully we can make it through this crazy, busy, fun week following our expectations and keeping the gray out of Ms. Burich's hair.  Ha!!

P.S.  Don't you just LOVE all the multi-colored paper?!  My school doesn't purchase this for us, but definitely worth the $12.99 to spice up our writing, projects, and walls!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your marshmallow challenge! I wish you would update your awesome blog more often with more creative ideas!!

    ReplyDelete